DAKOTA DRIFTERS SNOWMOBILE CLUB
SEPTEMBER 25, 2002
REVISED 1976, 1983, 1984, 2001, 2002, 2006
The name of this organization shall be known as the DAKOTA
DRIFTERS SNOWMOBILE CLUB
To stimulate interest in the development, safety and use of Snowmobiles for
enjoyment and recreation.
To promote the development and safety by raising funds through sanctioned
events; raffles, concessions, etc.
To inform members of local activities, and any other information of general
interest to members regarding snowmobiling on a regional, state or national
Section 1. Qualifications
All men, women, and children shall be eligible for membership. Single
persons shall constitute a family unit.
Section 2. Privileges
Any member has the privilege of voting, holding office, serving on
committees and participating in social functions of the club. Only those of
legal age (18) may vote or hold office.
Section 3. Classification
ACTIVE – Active member implies any individual who has paid current
annual dues and participates in the manipulation of a snowmobile.
ASSOCIATE – Associate member implies any individual who pays current
annual dues for interests other than riding a snowmobile and shall include
those who are not of legal age.
FAMILY – Family membership includes those unmarried off spring of the
immediate family of a paid member, living at home and under 21 years of age.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. How constituted
The government of this organization shall be vested in the President;
President-elect (Vice-President); Secretary; Treasurer; Public
Relations Officer, immediate Past President and four (4)
Directors for a total of ten (10) members.
Section 2. Election of Directors
There shall be four (4) Directors elected from the general membership. Two
(2) Directors shall be elected each year to serve for a two (2) year term. The
immediate Past President shall automatically serve on the board for a one (1)
Section 3. Goals
The current ten (10) member board of directors shall work together for the
benefit of the club.
Section 4. Powers and duties of ten (10) member Board of Directors
- Control and management of funds and property of this organization.
- Select a place for deposit of funds.
- Provide for auditing the books.
- Conduct business between meetings when necessary.
- Fill vacancies of the Directors with the exception of the President. The
member so selected to fill a vacancy shall serve until the next annual
election. In the event of a vacancy in the office of the President, the
President-elect shall assume the duties of the President and the Directors
shall elect another President-elect.
Section 5. Eligibility of Officers
Any member in good standing who has paid current annual dues is eligible to
hold office as a member of the Board of Directors.
DUTIES OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. The President shall;
- Preside at all meetings of this organization
- Preserve order
- Enforce the provision of the club charter and these by-laws.
- Prepare a report of the years activities to present at annual meeting.
- Appoint standing and special committees except nominating committee.
- Approve bills before payment is made by the Treasurer.
- Keep the President-elect informed of the organization’s affair.
- Be member ex-officer of all committees except nominating committees.
- Represent this organization with respect to all activities.
- Appoint tellers and registrars prior to voting.
Section 2. The President-elect shall;
- Assume the duties of the President in the event of inability to serve.
- Automatically become President when the Presidents term expires.
Section 3. The Secretary shall;
- Keep the minutes of all meetings.
- Notify members of meetings as directed.
- Keep a list of members and their addresses and provide the President with
a current copy.
- Provide a list of committee members and chairmen to each committee member
and the President.
Section 4. The Treasurer shall;
- Receive all moneys; pay bills and disburse funds as directed by the board
of Directors of this organization.
- Deposit funds as designated by the board of directors.
- Give an oral report of the clubs financial status at each meeting and a
written report at the end of the year at the annual meeting.
Section 5. Public Relations Director shall;
a. Generate and submit the monthly club news article to the sno-plainsman.
b. Generate and send any mailings or newsletters.
c. Take care of any public advertisements.
Section 6. The Directors shall;
- Attend all monthly meetings and special meetings (as called by the
President) to coordinate activities of this club.
Section 1. Program and social
These committees shall be appointed by the President and shall prepare
programs and arrange for places to host the activities of this club, they
shall be responsible for social activities of the club and shall arrange for
races, trail rides, rallies and meetings.
Section 2. Publicity
The publicity committee shall be responsible for relating matters
pertaining to meetings, events and social affairs through media’s of radio,
TV or newspapers.
Section 3. Public Relations
Public relations committee shall have as its goal to sponsor good relations
between this club and the community and other clubs in the area and adjacent
states. This shall be accomplished by the dissemination of pertinent
information through all available channels.
Section 4. Vacancies on special committees
In the event of vacancies occurring on committees, the President shall
appoint members to fill such vacancies, subject to the approval of the Board
Section 5. Nominating Committee
The nominating committee shall be comprised of the present Board of
Directors with the exception of the current President.
Section 1. Amount of dues
a. The annual dues shall be $15 above SDSA dues and is payable at the first meeting in
September. As of Fall2022, SDSA dues are $35, so 2022 dues are $50
which $15.00 is local and $25.00 is State
Section 2. Special Assessment
a. There may be a special assessment imposed by the club by a 2/3
(two-thirds) majority vote of active members and at no time shall the
assessment exceed $6.00 (six dollars) in any one year.
Section 1. Regular Meetings
Regular meetings shall be held monthly for the seven (7) months of
September thru March, with the first meeting in September serving as the
Board of Directors Meeting. The Board of Directors, during their first
annual meeting will establish a Calendar of Events for the calendar year.
Section 2. Annual meetings and banquet
The annual meeting and banquet shall be held during the month of April.
(The second Saturday in April has served as a trail removal day and banquet
evening for 00-02 and has worked well.)
Section 3. The fiscal year shall date from the annual meeting-banquet each
Section 4. Special meetings may be called by the President, when necessary.
QUORUMS AND VOTING
Section 1. Quorums
Ten percent (10%) of the total active members shall constitute a quorum.
The majority of the board members present shall constitute a quorum of the
board of directors.
Section 2. Voting
- Only paid members shall participate in elections and other voting.
- A subject submitted for vote to the voting body shall be determined by
majority unless otherwise specified.
- Additional nominations may be made from the floor at the annual meeting
before nominations are declared closed.
- A plurality vote shall elect.
- Election shall be by written ballot.
Section 1. Assets
No part of the net earnings or money of this organization shall be
distributed to or inure to the benefit of any member, director or officer of
this association, contributor or private individual. In the event of
dissolution or liquidation of the assets of this association, said assets
shall be distributed to non-profit and charitable corporations or institutions
as may be designated by the board of directors.
Section 2. Amending
The by-laws of this organization may be adapted and amended by the board of
directors as they seem necessary.
Section 3. Order of business
- Call to Order
- Establishment of quorum
- Reading of minutes of past meeting
- Reports of Officers
- Reports of Committees
- Unfinished business
- New business
Roberts Rules of Order (revised) shall be the authority for this organization
unless otherwise specified by the by-laws.